Monday, May 10, 2010

Some days just feel like summer

Even in mid May some Vancouver afternoons feel like the most delicious days of summer.

Everyone at my work (sadly, not on The Drive) is currently obsessed with Starbucks faux-Italian Frappuccino Happy Hour. In case you somehow haven't heard, Frappuccinos are half price from 3 - 5 every day from now until May 16. At 3pm there is a stampede from my office to the Starbucks across the street for cheap, syrupy, frozen coffee treats. And while I did have an extra-coffee-no-whip-caramel-drizzle today the hardly-tastes-like-coffee concoction inspired me to highlight the my personal top 3 espresso related drinks on The Drive.
  1. Without a doubt the most superior way to enjoy coffee on the drive is an Affogato. Traditionally an Affogato would be espresso over vanilla gelato, but there is no reason not to have it over, say, chocolate hazelnut for a truly decadent coffee treat. And, of course, Dolce Amore (1590 Commercial Drive) is the best spot to stop in for a Affogato to go.


  2. Did I ever mention that 10 years ago I spent a beautiful autumn as an au pair to 3 darling Italian children in Torino? I think that the combination of growing up in Nelson and spending time in Italy is what makes The Drive feel like home. And, Giancarlo's (1865 Commercial Drive) is home-away-from-home. The cozy Italian Sports Bar/Coffee Shop is the ideal place to get a perfect Italian latte (extra hot, no sugar please). Another important selling point, if you enjoy looking at Italian boys who make incredible lattes, is Giancarlo himself. Seriously, adorable. (Love you, Sean! Don't worry, I'll try not to run away with an Italian Barista)


  3. When I was studying Communications at SFU I had to take the class that all CMNS students dread - CMNS 260, Quantitative statistics. In the days before I lost my mind and signed up for a Computing Science degree I mostly spend my undergrad avoiding all things that even looked a tiny bit like math, and Quantitative statistics is a giant math party. Whereby of course "party" means "4 month torture session". I was fortunate enough to have an incredible prof who would tutor students for the price of an espresso at Joe's (1150 Commercial Drive). I spent a lot of that semester buying espressos. And drinking iced lattes. Joe's Cafe may not look like much from the outside, but instead of trying to impress you with perfectly matching accent chair's Joe's will impress you with amazing coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment